I based this on Ricki Carroll's Home Cheesemaking book which has never disapointed so I am going to assume that I did something wrong with the salt. The end product did not develop mold and was way toooo salty, not edible...
I followed the recipe or so I thought
2 gallons of whole milk
Pinch of Penicillium roqueforti
Mesophilic starter 1/8 teaspoon
0.5 teaspoon double strengt liquid rennett
2 tablespoons cheese salt
Heat 1 gallon of milk to 86 F and add mesophilic and blue mold - hold for 30 minutes
Dilute rennet and add with stiring
Let sit for 45 minutes at 86 F
Cut curds and place in cheese cloth and drain overnight
The next day repeat the steps above to make a second batch but drain for only one hour.
Cut Batch 1 into 1 inch cubes and in a second bowl do the same to the second batch
Add 2 tablespoons of salt to each batch (next time I will only add one to each)
The method is to fill a 2 pond mold with the dry material from Batch 1 in the center and the wetter Batch 2 on the outside. PLace the mold on a cheese mat and hold at 55-60F and flip every 15 minutes for 2 hours. Flip several times over 3 days.
Remove from the mold and rub with salt daily for 4 days and hold at 55F and 85% humidity.
Using a pin or knitting needle pierce top and sides
Hold at 55F for 30 days and then for 30 days at 50F. Scrape the surface free of excess mold
Age for 3 months longer and it is ready to eat.
The cheese had some blue mold start to form during aging but by two months nothing. Perhaps it was the Penicillium roqueforti, but I don't think so. It was just so salty, it was also a bit too dry and crumbly which might indicate low humidity on stroage. I think I will contact Ricki and see what she thinks.